Launching a T-shirt business used to be a complex maze of networks, factories, and inventory stock—until Amazon Merch on Demand entered the scene.
Since its launch in 2015, the platform has opened the floodgates for entrepreneurs, solopreneurs, and side hustlers - anyone willing to learn the ropes of on-demand merchandise. Just upload a unique design, and Amazon automatically handles production, sales, and shipping.
But with over one million accounts now active, the competition is intense. This definitive guide will reveal the real strategies top sellers leverage to drive sustained Merch success.
Let's cut to the chase.
Key Takeaways from this Post
What is Amazon Merch on Demand?
Merch on Demand by Amazon (aka Merch by Amazon) is a hassle-free print-on-demand (POD) platform that enables users to sell products with personalized designs. The best thing about it is that users don't have to worry about shipping or inventory.
In simple words:
You design, and Amazon handles the rest of the shebang on your behalf. From inventory to shipping, it's all taken care of.
Your role? Earning royalties with every sale.
Unlike some competitors, Amazon only brings your creation to life and ships it out when someone hits that 'buy' button. So, you're in control without the financial burden of pre-purchasing stock. That means zero upfront or hidden costs for you–a major win.
As a seller, you only have to focus on your designs and marketing, leaving the operational intricacies to Amazon. It's a straightforward, cost-effective way to turn your creativity into cash without the usual production or operational headaches.
How Does Amazon Merch on Demand Work?
Setting up an Amazon Merch on Demand account is a breeze, even if you don't fancy yourself an artist or have a massive social media following.
The process is straightforward:
- Create an account, get approval, and start by uploading your artwork while selecting the product type you wish to sell.
- Once Amazon green lights your design, they handle the heavy lifting—creating a listing for your product.
- When a sale happens, Amazon handles everything from printing to shipping and customer service, leaving you with the satisfying part–earning royalties!
💡 Fun Fact:
Amazon Merch on Demand isn't just for individuals; even major brands leverage its simplicity and convenience. That cool Baby Yoda shirt you bought on Amazon? Chances are, it originated from Amazon Merch.
What Products Can I Sell?
Amazon Merch on Demand offers a diverse array of products for you to design and sell, covering items including:
- Tank Tops
- Phone Cases and Pop Sockets,
- Tote Bags
- Throw Pillows
Amazon consistently broadens the product range available for Merch on Demand. So, we advise regularly checking for updates. Also, sellers should be mindful of specific design requirements for each Amazon product category when crafting their designs.
Are There Any Restrictions on What I Can Design?
You need to follow certain restrictions and guidelines when creating designs for selling products on Amazon Merch on Demand. Some key restrictions include:
- Copyright ownership: You can not use designs that infringe on someone else's intellectual property.
- Trademark and branding: Do not create designs that mimic or imitate Amazon's branding or trademarks.
- Design quality: Low-resolution or pixelated designs may not be accepted.
- Offensive or otherwise objectionable content: Amazon rejects designs that feature:
- Child exploitation
- Hateful speech
- Human tragedy
- Mental illness (certain countries)
- Blank imagery
- Imprecise metadata
- Political promotions
- Poor design quality
- Contact information
- Misspellings or mismatched content
- Soliciting product reviews
These examples are not exhaustive. There may be additional content policies and restrictions specific to Amazon Merch that you should be aware of.
Review Amazon Merch's official guidelines and policies to ensure your designs meet their current standards. These policies can change anytime, so we recommend checking for updates regularly.
Failure to comply with these policies may result in the removal of your products, suspension of your account, or other penalties.
Is Amazon Merch on Demand Worth it?
Developing a profitable Amazon Merch store involves intelligent pricing, a good eye for design, and skillful product selection. Success depends highly on remaining abreast of Amazon's policies and algorithms, given the intense competition in the market.
So, is Amazon Merch worth it?
Sure, if you're prepared to make the initial effort.
Selling personalized goods on Merch by Amazon can be a terrific way to supplement your income without having to handle the headaches of handling manufacturing, shipping, and customer support.
However, it’s a low-risk and cost-effective avenue to venture into the e-commerce market. The application procedure can take a while, and there's no assurance you'll be accepted.
So, to mitigate the risk of uncertainty, it's wise to diversify your sales channels and explore other print-on-demand platforms.
You should also check out Link My Books to streamline and put your ecommerce accounting on autopilot.
Is Amazon Merch on Demand Free? Fees Overview
The Merch on Demand program is completely free to use on Amazon.
You won’t have to pay any upright subscription fees or similar costs, which is excellent for small businesses or individuals wanting to get their toes wet with selling online.
There are no costs for uploading designs or creating a listing, and Amazon handles the printing, shipping, and customer service for each sale.
Instead, Amazon Merch on Demand operates on a royalty system.
Even Amazon’s fee system is pretty straightforward, as we’ll see in the next section.
How Do Royalties Work in Amazon Merch on Demand?
Merch by Amazon operates on a royalty-based payment system, ensuring sellers earn a percentage of the product's list price upon sale, minus applicable taxes and production costs.
The royalty rates are not fixed; they vary (ranging from approximately 12% to 37%) depending on the product type and marketplace. Sellers can advance through different tier levels, unlocking access to higher product tiers and potentially higher royalty rates.
Check out the Merch on Demand Royalties FAQ page for a detailed breakdown.
Monthly royalty payments are calculated and disbursed within 30 days after the respective calendar month in which the royalties were earned. To keep tabs on earnings and track sales performance, sellers can conveniently use the dashboard.
Given the intricacies involved in pricing and revenue calculation—considering factors like merchandise type, print specifications (front/back or both), local taxes, logistics, and more—Amazon offers sellers a projected royalty for each sale when setting the item's price.
NOTE: Amazon pays sellers through electronic funds transfer (EFT) or direct deposit, with a minimum payment threshold (around $100) based on the payment type.
How Does Amazon Differ From Other Print-on-Demand Services?
While Amazon Merch has some unique perks, several other print-on-demand (POD) providers offer similar or advanced services.
Weigh your priorities. Amazon is a reliable choice if wide reach and seamless fulfillment are crucial. Alternatively, explore different POD services if you prioritize design control, a diverse product range, or higher profits.
Here's a quick list of some highly rated POD platforms worth exploring.
Amazon Merch on Demand vs. Printful
What You Can Sell: Apparel | Phone Cases | Posters | Canvas Prints I Premium items I Eco-friendly I Pet Products I Home & Living
Ships To: Worldwide
Best Feature: To view how your design would appear on your merchandise, you can use the built-in Mock-up Generator tool.
Has Subscription: No
Printful equips you with tools to design and sell products on various platforms while handling order fulfillment. The built-in Design Maker simplifies creating captivating designs, even for those without design experience.
It offers white-label services, enabling custom branding on product labels and packaging. What sets Printful apart is the commendable quality of its fulfillment services.
Recommended For: Those who are just starting out and want to focus on turning a profit rather than the logistics.
Redbubble vs. Amazon Merch
What You Can Sell: Apparel | Accessories | Stickers | Phone Cases | Stationery I Wall Art I Home & Living Decor I More
Ships To: Worldwide
Best Feature: Designers' creations are protected with watermarks and anti-piracy features.
Has Subscription: No
Redbubble doesn't function as a typical e-commerce platform. Instead, it operates as a marketplace similar to Etsy. Customers visit Redbubble specifically to purchase products created by independent artists.
The designer can earn an artist margin of 10% to 30% of the purchase price.
Recommended For: Designers, artists, and companies who wish to profit from their creations without going through the laborious merchandising process.
Printify vs. Amazon Merch
What You Can Sell: Clothing| Phone Cases | Journals | Magnets & Stickers
Ships To: Worldwide
Best Feature: An extensive worldwide network of printing partners
Has Subscription: Free | $24.99/month (Premium) | Custom pricing (Enterprise)
Printify is an excellent print-on-demand service known for its industry-leading low printing prices and high profit margins. It seamlessly integrates with major e-commerce platforms and marketplaces, offering access to a global network of printing partners.
Faster, less expensive delivery is possible when you choose your printing partner based on the nation where your clients are located.
Recommended For: Sellers who want access to the broadest number of options or those who want to maximize profit margins on print-on-demand products – and are open to dealing with some encountered inconsistencies.
Getting Started with Amazon Merch on Demand
Let's break down the step-by-step process to guide you smoothly into getting started with Merch on Demand by Amazon.
Signing Up for an Account
To get started, request an invitation to the program directly from Amazon.
- Head to merch.amazon.com and click the 'Sign Up' button.
- If you already have an Amazon account, simply log in.
- For those who don't have one yet, no worries–you can create an account quickly. Once your details are verified, you'll be logged in and all set to establish your Merch account.
- Continue with the signup process by following the on-screen instructions.
- Move to the invitation request form, where you'll specify your industry and organization name (such as your brand or site).
- Then, articulate to Amazon why you desire to sell through Amazon Merch. Craft a compelling pitch to convey that your designs hold significant potential for generating sales.
- Conclude by submitting your website (if you have one), completing the CAPTCHA, and clicking "Send Request."
- After sending your request, keep an eye on your email for notification of approval.
The approval process can take up to 60 days. However, it usually doesn’t take that long in most cases.
Designing Your Collection
To begin selling your unique merch featuring your design, the upload process is straightforward:
- From the dashboard, head to the Create page.
- Hover over the menu and select the product type you wish to upload.
Before publishing, take advantage of the mock-up feature to visualize how your design appears on the product.
Keep in mind that Amazon maintains certain artwork standards, which include:
- Image resolution: 300 ppi/dpi
- Export the artboard as sRGB
- Transparent PNG with dimensions 15″W x 18″H
- File size not exceeding 25MB
You can utilize popular design software like Photoshop, Illustrator, or GIMP for creating designs.
There are two recommended sizes for your design:
Product Creation Process
When your design is polished and ready, it's time to bring it to life on Amazon.
- On the dashboard, begin by clicking on “Add Products” to initiate the process.
- Select the specific product type where you envision your design shining, whether it's a standard t-shirt, hoodie, pop socket, or any other available option.
- Upload your design file in the required format and size.
- Fill in crucial details for your design, including the title, brand name, description, and keywords. Optimize your keywords to enhance the discoverability of your design on Amazon.
- Choose the colors available for your design and set the price you wish to list it.
- Before finalizing, thoroughly review all the information. Ensure your design aligns with Amazon’s content policy and design guidelines.
That’s it! Your design is now on its way to be reviewed and, once approved, ready for customers to discover and adore.
Understanding Policies and Guidelines
Amazon Merch has strict policies, and veering off-course can result in penalties. Here are a few key points to avoid getting banned:
- Avoid using descriptive words for your merch in titles, bullet points, or descriptions. Focus solely on your design, not the product. For instance, "cute puppy t-shirt" is fine, but avoid details like "super soft t-shirt."
- Steer clear of copyrighted or illegal content. Even if a Mickey Mouse design seems appealing, it could lead to a ban for infringing on Disney's intellectual property. Similarly, skip offensive or controversial designs, including racist, violent, or sexually explicit content.
- Exercise common sense and review Amazon's content policies to be sure. Familiarize yourself with both Amazon's general policies and specific Amazon Merch policies to prevent unintentional missteps that might blacklist you from the platform.
Amazon doesn't compromise on these rules, and compliance is key for a successful and long-lasting presence on Amazon Merch.
- Designs unsold within 180 days or violating Amazon's content policy are removed.
- Modifying your Merch listing’s price, title, brand, or description triggers a new status review. However, the previous version stays live on Amazon during this process.
How to Get Approved for Amazon Merch on Demand
In the past, the application system for Amazon Merch faced misuse, leading the Merch team to tighten the approval process. The goal is not to discourage applicants but to filter out non-serious sellers, ensuring only genuine sellers are accepted.
To increase your chances of getting approved for Amazon Merch on Demand:
- Link to your website or showcase your presence on other platforms, demonstrating your skills.
- Outline your strategy for promoting and selling to Amazon’s audience.
- Feature 5-10 original designs in your application.
- Mention any owned trademarks and licenses (if applicable).
- Never leave the additional information box empty. Utilize the space to make a compelling case for acceptance.
While not mandatory, these steps provide a head start in the application process. Consider it a job interview–the more positives and evidence you provide, the better your chances.
Amazon Merch on Demand Denied Me - Why?
Not everyone who applies for Merch by Amazon gets approved. Amazon evaluates each application, considering factors like design quality, adherence to guidelines, and more.
Some common reasons why an Amazon Merch on Demand application may be denied include:
- Poor Design Quality: Rejection may occur if submitted designs fall below Amazon's quality standards or violate content policies.
- Guideline Violation: Not adhering to Amazon’s design guidelines and content policy can lead to rejection.
- Lack of Originality: Amazon seeks unique and original designs. Similarities to existing designs or perceived copying may result in rejection.
- Incomplete or Inaccurate Information: Applications lacking essential details or containing inaccuracies might face rejection.
- Limited Demand: Approval chances may be affected if the niche or designs target a limited audience.
- Overly Saturated Niche: Applying in a highly competitive niche with many sellers may reduce the likelihood of approval.
Amazon Merch on Demand Tips and Best Practices
Let's get straight to how you can maximize your earning potential with Amazon Merchandise:
Researching and Targeting Profitable Niches
Don't invest time and effort only to know that it doesn’t translate into sales. Research what people are actively searching for on Amazon. Craft your designs based on these popular niches to align with customer interests.
If similar products flood the market, expect stiff competition. High demand might balance it, but it's a factor to consider. Evaluate if the market has room for your unique offerings.
Strategic Niche Targeting
Optimal results come from targeting niches with high demand but low existing design supply. Less competition in these areas ensures a better chance for increased sales.
Pricing Strategies for Maximizing Profit Margins
Set your product price not based on your perception of worth but on market dynamics and competition. Consider the long game–it's not a quick cash grab. There's no one-size-fits-all "right" price; it's what the market dictates. Don't rush to be the cheapest.
Before uploading, scout your niche on Amazon, find the average price, and position yours in the middle. Why?
Initially, you won't compete on price but on the excellence of your design. A moderately-priced shirt with a stellar design outshines the competition.
- Be aware of additional fees like referral or fulfillment fees, varying by product category. Factor these in when setting prices for optimal profitability.
- Higher prices mean higher royalties, but overpricing can cost you sales. Strike the right balance for profitability and market appeal.
Monitoring Sales Performance and Analyzing Data
To find areas for improvement, monitor your sales and examine patterns and shifts in consumer demand. Use these insights to make informed choices regarding pricing, products, and marketing tactics.
Try new things and experiment. Maintaining a competitive edge and optimizing your revenue can be achieved by consistently fine-tuning your tactics.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Still have questions? Explore some of the most common user inquiries about Amazon Merch on Demand.
How Does Amazon Merch on Demand Handle Shipping and Customer Service?
Amazon handles customer service for your buyers, along with fulfillment, shipping, and production. With their robust capabilities, Amazon efficiently addresses any customer queries that may arise.
Depending on their local Prime perks, Prime members can enjoy free shipping. The choice to choose ground shipment or faster delivery will be available to all other customers.
Any issues with the merch order can be resolved by reaching out to Amazon, just like any other purchase.
Note: As a seller, you are not responsible for directly interacting with customers. While Amazon handles customer service and shipping logistics, returns and exchanges can impact your overall royalties.
How Long Does It Take for My Merch on Demand Products to Go Live?
The timeframe for Amazon Merch to approve a design and launch the product to market is not fixed.
The approval process may be swift for certain sellers, with designs getting approval within a few hours or days.
Conversely, for others, it might extend over a longer period, ranging from several days to even weeks. Factors like the volume of design submissions, the intricacy of the review process, and other relevant considerations influence the specific duration for approval.
Congratulations, you made it to the end—high five! You've now covered the fundamentals of selling products through Amazon Merch on Demand.
You can tap into Amazon's vast user base by diligently applying what you've learned and staying committed. Think of this opportunity as being able to test the waters of the e-commerce world with the force of Amazon behind you.
NO inventory management, NO customer service stress. Ultimately, the key investment here is your TIME.
So, roll up your sleeves and dedicate it wisely to market research, crafting exciting designs, and promoting your creations across various platforms.
But that’s not all. For an ecommerce business to thrive in any weather, you need a healthy accounting process. It will not only save you overhead but also keep your business compliant.
Sign up today for a free trial to experience the benefits first-hand!